Maintaining your vehicle is important to keep it running in top condition. One important step in regular maintenance is changing the oil. Keeping an eye on the oil light can be a helpful reminder. If you drive a Chevy Equinox, you may wonder how to reset the oil light after changing your oil. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the simple steps you need to take to reset the oil light in a Chevy Equinox. These steps allow you to reset your oil light quickly and easily.
Resetting Chevy Equinox Oil light
Chevy Equinox has so far been available in three generations. There are some features unique to each generation that set it apart. As a result, the method for resetting the oil light varies depending on the model year. The following sections will show the step-by-step procedure for resetting the Chevy Equinox oil light generation-wise.
How to reset the 3rd generation (2018-2022) Chevy Equinox oil light?
If you have the recent model of Chevy Equinox, i.e., 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018, you can use the following method to reset the oil light.
1. Turn the ignition on without starting the engine.
2. Locate the vehicle button by using the right and left arrows.
3. After selecting the Vehicle menu, you will see a sub-menu list.
4. Select the Oil Life option from the sub-menu by using the arrows.
5. Now press and hold the Tick symbol button on the right side of the steering wheel for some seconds or until the maintenance system resets to 100 percent.
6. You will see the dashboard screen showing 100 % Oil life.
That’s all. You have accomplished the task.
How to reset the 2nd generation (2010 to 2017) Chevy Equinox oil light?
1. Start the car by turning the ignition key on. However, be sure the engine is not running.
2. Press the Menu button to highlight the Vehicle Information option.
3. Next, press Up to display the remaining oil life.
4. Now press and hold the SET or CLR button for a few seconds or until it displays 100%.
5. Turn the car off by turning the ignition key off.
6. Now restart the car to confirm the reset.
How to reset 1st generation (2005 to 2009) Chevy Equinox oil light?
For all older models of Chevy Equinox, i.e., 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009, resetting the oil light is a straightforward process that takes just a few seconds. Let’s get started!
1. Start the car without starting or running the engine
2. Now press and release the accelerator pedal with full force for about 15 seconds. Divide this time into three equal intervals. It means repeating this step three times, each for 5 seconds.
3. After this action, the oil light starts flashing, implying the reset is processing. At this point, wait for a few seconds so the reset can be completed.
4. Now turn the car off and restart it to confirm the reset.
5. After restarting the car, the oil life reminder should go off.
Why resetting the oil light is important?
Before discussing the resetting process, you should first understand the importance of resetting the oil light on your Equinox. Here are some compelling reasons why resetting the oil life indicator is crucial before going on a journey.
Identifying problems early
Regularly resetting your oil light can help identify any underlying issues that may be developing with your car’s engine. It could include worn engine parts, oil leaks, or clogged filters. By catching these problems early, you can prevent more costly repairs down the line.
Prolonging engine life
Resetting the oil light lets you track how often you change the oil and how much oil is still in the system. It helps prevent sludge from building up in your engine and keeps running smoothly for longer.
Because resetting the oil light can help prevent costly repairs, it’s also a great way to save money. It’s much cheaper to have a mechanic change your oil than to have them repair or replace an entire engine.
Increase fuel efficiency
Regularly resetting your oil light and changing the oil can increase your car’s fuel efficiency. Fresh oil helps reduce friction between engine parts and improves your vehicle’s performance.
Another important reason to reset your oil light is to prevent any damage that may occur if you fail to change your oil. If the oil gets too low or goes too long without being changed, it can cause serious damage to the engine, including overheating and seizing up.
Overall, resetting your oil light can help extend your car’s life and save you money in the long run. It’s an important part of regular vehicle maintenance, so add it to your routine!
Which percentage of the oil pressure causes the oil light to turn on?
The oil light will come on when your vehicle’s oil level drops below a certain percentage, typically 10-15%. Technically, the oil light will illuminate when the oil pressure declines by less than 5 to 10 PSI. It indicates that your oil level is too low and needs to be checked.
How long can the Equinox go with a 5 % oil life?
With a 5 % oil life, you can go approximately 500 to 1000 miles before the engine stops running. However, please don’t wait for such a low percentage, as it can cause irreversible and costly damage to your Chevy Equinox.
That’s all about resetting the oil light on each model of Chevy Equinox. It is important to regularly reset the oil sensor in your Equinox to ensure that your engine is running efficiently and smoothly. Depending on your driving habits, you may need to reset the oil light more often than others, so check it regularly. However, it needs to be serviced if the light is still lit after resetting. Take your car to a certified Chevy mechanic as soon as possible to avoid any costly damage.
Leave a Reply